April 20, 2012

Don Lockwood and Kathy Selden

Time for another one of my Favorite Onscreen Couples post! : )

Don Lockwood and Kathy Selden
(Promotional picture I know.... I couldn't find a screencap where they were both looking at the camera!)

Don
: Which of my pictures have you seen?
Kathy: I don't remember. I saw one once.
Don: You saw one once?
Kathy: Yes, I think you were dueling and there was a girl - Lina Lamont. But I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all.
Don: Thank you.
Kathy: Oh, no offense. Movies are entertaining enough for the masses but the personalities on the screen just don't impress me. I mean they don't talk, they don't act, the just make a lot of dumb show. Well, you know.... *demonstrates* Like that.
Don: You mean like what I do?
Kathy: Well, yes!

Film: Singin' in the Rain

Novel? No.
Time Period: Early 1920's
Status: In love. (Hopefully going to be married, but you can't tell by the end of the movie...)
How They Met: Don, persued by crazy fans, makes a dashing getaway and jumps into Kathy's car, scaring her.  : )

 

Don: What's your lofty mission in life that lets you sneer at my humble profession?
Kathy: I'm an actress...
Don: Oh...
Kathy: ...on the stage.
Don: Oh, on the stage, well I'd like to see you act, what are you in right now? I could brush up on my English, or bring along an interpreter, that is if they'd let in a *movie* actor.

 
Kathy: Are you sure it's all right? Being seen with me?
Don: You mean lofty star with humble player?
Kathy: Not exactly, but for lunch don't you usually tear a pheasant with Miss Lamont?
Don: Kathy, all the stories about Lina and me are sheer publicity.
Kathy: Oh? It certainly seems more than that. From all those columns in the newspapers and articles in the fan magazines...
Don: Oh, you read the fan magazines!
Kathy: I pick them up at the beauty parlor or the dentist's office, just like anybody.
Don: Really?
Kathy: Well... I buy four or five a month.
Don: Four or five...
Kathy: But anyway, to get back to the point, you and Miss Lamont do achieve a certain intimacy in all your pictures...
Don: Did you say all our pictures?
Kathy: I guess if I think about it I've seen eight or nine of them.
Don: You know I remember someone saying, "If you've seen one you've seen 'em all".
Kathy: I said some awful things that night, didn't I?
Don: No. I deserved them. But I must admit I was hurt by them. So hurt in fact that I haven't been able to think about anything but you ever since.




This is a movie I'd recommend if you like musicals. (Well, all except one scene where Don dances with another girl. We usually just fast-forward through the entire 'Broadway Melody' song.)

~Eowyn~

No comments: